5th Battalion, King's Own Scottish Borderers (Territorial Force)
In 1908 a major reorganisation of the British Army was undertaken; the Militia was abolished, and the Yeomanry and Volunteer Force were consolidated into the Territorial Force. The infantry battalions formed from the Volunteer Force units were numbered in sequence after the regular and reserve battalions of the regiments to which they were affiliated, and a year later were given second titles linking them to their recruitment area.
For example, the King's Own Scottish Borderers had the 1st and 2nd Regular Battalions and the 3rd Reserve Battalion, so the two territorial battalions were numbered 4th and 5th, and in 1909 were designated The Border and Dumfries and Galloway battalions, respectively.
The 5th Battalion, King's Own Scottish Borderers (Territorial
Force) was established on 1st April 1908 by the amalgamation of the 3rd
(Dumfries) Volunteer Battalion, King's Own Scottish Borderers and the Galloway
(Kirkcudbright and Wigtown) Volunteer Rifle Corps (less 'C' Company, Stranraer,
which transferred to the 5th Royal Scots Fusiliers). The battalion was renamed
the 5th (Dumfries and Galloway) Battalion, King's Own Scottish Borderers
(T.F.) in March 1909 and it was under this title that the battalion offered
itself for service overseas on the outbreak of the First World War.
|Kirkcudbrightshire||G||Castle Douglas||Corsock, Gatehouse, Kirkcudbright|
|Wigtownshire||H||Newton Stewart||Wigtown, Creetown, Kirkcowan, Whithorn, Garlieston|